Artificial flooring has long made its appearance as an alternative to natural floors of concrete, ceramic, wood, marbles, etc. Cork flooring is one such artificial type of flooring that comes in as much variety of colours and patterns as other flooring options. Cork is widely used to preserve wine in bottles. But with the turn of the century, people in the United States started using floors made of cork mainly because it provides a warmer, quiet and cozy home. According to the American Institute of Architect’s Home Design survey conducted in 2008, over 60% of the people showed an increased interest in sustainable flooring options like cork for residential living. From production to installation, cork floors are possibly the most environmentally sustainable among other floors.
Cork is harvested from the bark of the Quercus suber tree, which is more commonly known as the cork oak tree, grown in the Mediterranean region, and has an average lifespan of 200 years. Unlike wood flooring, the entire tree is not chopped down, but the outer layer is stripped without harming the tree, and a new layer of cork bark grows out, which makes it a sustainable and renewable resource.
The cork bark is hand-harvested after every nine years, which leaves a protective inner layer of bark that allows the regrowth of new bark. To produce floors, virgin bark of cork and post-industrial waste cork from the manufacturing of other cork items are ground into smaller pieces. Then all raw materials are consumed either for finished product or as a source of energy. So cork flooring is a wise decision that can be opted for achieving a comfortable and calmer living space.
· Cork floors are hypo-allergenic, anti-microbial and are mold and mildew resistant. Cork doesn’t absorb dust or pollen and helps you to get rid of these allergens.
· Bark of cork contains suberin, a waxy waterproof substance present in the cell walls of cork tissue, which repels insects.
· It has insulation properties, which ensure minimal heat and a comfortable surface to walk on. Cork under layers provides good insulation, and during combustion, it doesn’t release toxic gases.
· Due to its resilient nature and miniature cell composition, it provides an excellent durability. It gives a comfortable feeling to the people with tender feet and joints.
· Cork floors provide an anti-static surface.
· It absorbs sound and reduces noise and gives a sound-proof interior.
· Cork is low in volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
· Cork flooring has a very long lifespan, and it can be repaired if damaged.
Cork floor installation:
There are two types of cork floor installation. In the traditional method, cork tiles are made accustomed with the environment of the room. Then the subfloor is evenly cleaned and then adhesive is applied, and the cork tiles are glued to it. The floating floor installation process is carried out with cork floors to provide a tongue and groove connection that snaps together. This method of installation allows the Andersons cork flooring to be installed above existing floor surfaces like wood, ceramic tile, vinyl flooring, etc. Cork floors come in a variety of designs, and these can be easily removed and replaced with the change in preferences.
Cleaning and maintenance:
Cleaning cork floors can be burdensome due to the nature of the material. It must be resealed every few years in order to keep away dirt and moisture. Since the outer layer is thin, it is prone to damage by excessive dirt and moisture. It is not a good choice for bathroom floors since it absorbs water and causes the floors to be slippery. To keep the cork flooring clean, spills should be wiped away immediately. It should be swept or vacuumed regularly to remove dirt, dust, grit or debris. This prevents abrasion and scratches on the floor surface. It should be damp mopped with mild wood-floor cleaners.
So if you want to cover your floors with stunningly, gorgeous yet eco-friendly and affordable material, then go for cork flooring. You will find many vendors that sell cork flooring Brisbane wide in varied colours and patterns to suit your choice and style.read more